Monday, 17 October 2011

Upcoming fixes and the future

First a heads up, that v0.9.08 is just around the corner. This includes fixes for all reported bug, some new features, and a reworking of how file names and sound item (program, wave, perf) names correlate. I.e now they do. After this, there will be another beta with mainly bug fixes, and perhaps one or two requests, and then we go sharp 1.0.

Then the future gets hazy. I've had a few ideas on spin-off applications of the core components of this instrument. The two first ideas are:
  • A dedicated beat slicer - with slice sound tweaks, mapping, quick automation etc.
  • A beat box - basically a drum sampler + drumsynth + pattern sequencer + automation
There's obviously a lot of work involved in doing this. And, to curse in church, I've considered making these instruments non-free, but instead uncrippled shareware (think reaper). Why you ask? Because I really love writing VST plugins. Seriously. Really. But it does take a horrendous amount of time, and I don't make any money from it (two donations so far - thank you, you know who you are).

Going at least partially commercial with any upcoming instruments would maybe alleviate this a bit.
So, those of you who read this, would you consider instruments like those mentioned above worth paying a modest fee (~€30?) for? Or am I being delusional?

Edit: Just to clarify: I have no intention of making TX16Wx commercial. My thoughts are on whether there is potential in making non-free spinoffs.

Comments welcome.
Cheers